The river is no longer green, and the green beer is gone for another year. St. Patrick’s Day in the rearview mirror can mean just one thing. Spring is here! It’s time for rejuvenation and preparing for what’s ahead. So without further ado, here is your spring HVAC (and a few other things) maintenance checklist from Merts Heating & Air Conditioning:
- Spring Cleaning: More than anything else here, we’re talking about a good round of dusting and mopping. During the dark months of winter your home can accumulate a layer of dust and dirt. It can be made worse if you start opening your windows to take advantage of the warm spring days. Now is the time to get rid of that dirt and dust before the air conditioning season starts.
- Change the furnace/AC filter: How many times do you need to hear it? A dirty filter can’t do its job AND it can cause serious and expensive damage to your system. A dirty filter also means higher utility bills. Your filter should be replaced a minimum of every three months or even monthly.
- Maintenance and system cleaning by a professional: Before you know it, the temperatures will be creeping higher and could shoot up suddenly at any time. Don’t run the risk of waiting for the hot weather to hit to find out your AC needs help. Your HVAC technician has his or her own checklist of things that need to be done every spring. Schedule your appointment now to make sure the AC is up to the challenge of another Chicagoland summer.
- Duct & register cleaning: You can handle vents and registers in your home. Use a cloth and vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dust and dirt, but there can be some pretty gross stuff inside the actual ductwork. It’s a good idea to call in a duct cleaning professional so you’re not breathing in anything that’s been trapped there for months or even years.
- Clear vegetation away from your outdoor compressor: This is another part of cleaning the AC unit. Proper airflow around your air conditioner (or heat pump) is critical for efficient summer cooling. There should be at least a 2-foot clearance around the unit.
So, there you have it, our spring HVAC maintenance checklist and a few other tips. Whatever your spring needs are, furnace maintenance, air conditioning maintenance, or a backup generator to protect against spring and summer storms, you can depend on Merts Heating & Air Conditioning. For more great information like this, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.